Everyday I get into a bunch of people who have basically exceeded the capabilities of their wireless (or wired) routers by either connecting too many devices or Playing video games over Wireless router or streaming videos that their router can not handle.
Not all wireless routers are created equal. Most standard routers are fine for surfing the web and checking email but a playing a Videogame over a Wireless connection uses several times more bandwidth than some basic activities on the web. Many standard and cheap routers can not handle video games or high definition video streams without running into problems like lag, jitter and dropped connections.
To handle the intense timing-sensitive video games and video streams over a wireless signal needs additional processing power, extra internal memory and gigabit ethernet ports.
Many gaming routers also have QoS Controls. QoS stands for Quality of Service. It allows you to configure your router so certain activities such as gaming have a priority over other activities such as surfing or downloading files. A dual band wireless router can help a lot for gamers by eliminating interference from other low speed devices running on 2.4 GHz.
I have explained almost anything that you should look for in a router when buying for gaming. Here is the list of some best routers that you can get on market.
Best Wireless Routers for Gaming:
5. D’Link DGL-4500 – Check Price
- High-speed N wireless network with Xtreme N Duo technology.
- Ultra Fast transfer rate of up-to 300 Mbps.
- Selectable 2.4 & 5 GHz bands for optimal speed, performance and range.
- 4 Gigabit ethernet ports for your high-speed wired network.
- Built-in firewall and WPA2 wireless security to protect your network from attacks.
- Robust QoS with GameFuel priority technology for lag-free gaming experience.
- Network activity display offers quick access to network information.
- SharePort technology to easily add USB-devices like printers or storage to your network.
- GREENnet technology to save power and generate less heat for optimal performance.
This router might be a perfect choice for any home but it sure is a perfect router for gamers looking for lag-free online sessions. With support for Windows Connect Now you can easily plug your media drive and access it without even the need of encryption key. Overall, this router performs great without any hiccups and offers some excellent range and speed.
4. Dlink DIR-825 Xtreme N – Check Price
- Wireless N technology for ultra fast speeds of 300 Mbps.
- Wireless LAN scheduling to turn off wireless for power saving and less heat when not in use.
- Features NAT filtering and anti-spoofing to protect your network from hackers and attacks.
- USB port with 3G wireless connectivity.
- Robust QoS for ultimate network performance even in high traffic periods.
- Wall-mountable design for easy installation.
This router combines great network features. If you got some guests turn on guest mode and they will connect to internet without accessing rest of the network. It offers some great overall performance and customizability for a very reasonable price.
3. Asus RT N56U – Check Price
- Dual-band 300 Mbps wireless router for lag-free gaming and entertainment.
- Surf the internet up-to 5 times faster with built-in hardware NAT.
- Connect up-to two USB devices to your router and access them across your high speed network.
- Easy to set-up for the first time and get up and running in minutes.
- Access your data anywhere in the world with AiCloud.
- AiRadar provides you a map of your wireless network to optimize it.
- Compatible with FTP, SAMBA and DLNA enabled devices.
ASUS has some great wireless routers and this is one of them. This router offers some great set of features and robust wireless signal so you get decent speed and strong reception to cover your house. With built in QoS this router does a great job in prioritizing your gaming and media traffic over regular web to give you a much smoother, lag-free experience.
2. Linksys E4200 – Check Price
- Simultaneous Dual-band Wireless N network for optimal speed and range.
- 4 Gigabit ethernet ports to add high-speed devices to your network over ethernet.
- Get maximum wireless speeds of up-to 750 Mbps combined on both bands.
- Internal 3×3 MIMO (multiple in multiple out) antennas.
- Stellar wireless coverage and performance even on far ends of the network.
- Integrated firewall and WPA2 wireless encryption protects your network from hackers.
- IPv6 ready and optimized for DLNA and media services.
- QoS for prioritization of media and entertainment traffic over regular web services.
- Create separate network for guest to keep them away from your home network.
This router is very simple and easy to instal and manage your network but do not let that simplicity fool you. There lies a beast behind that simplicity which handles all the high performance and low performance devices separately to give you best possible speeds and performance for lag-free gaming and entertainment.
1. D’Link DGL-5500 – Check Price
- Interesting cylindrical design with red accents.
- Supports wireless speeds of up-to 450 Mbps at 2.4 GHz and 867 Mbps at 5 GHz.
- Sleek and totally practical web interface to manage your router.
- 4 Gigabit ethernet ports to expand your network over ethernet connections.
- StreamBoost™ Traffic Shaping Engine for optimal coverage.
- Cloud-based automatic updating system to keep your firmware always up-to-date.
- 1 USB port to add additional devices to your network.
- Optimized for Nvidia GameStream to provide you lag-free streaming experience across your home.
This gaming router (with the latest firmware update) performs outstanding to past D’Links AC routers. With StreamBoost technology, it handled video streams and gaming applications excellently without any lag. The is one of the Best Gaming AC Router that you can buy to improve your gaming and media streaming experience.
With a high performance wireless gaming router you have a peace of mind to know that you can run network demanding games from the beginning to end without even worrying about a sudden interruption or hicc-cup that ruins everything though you do need a high-speed broadband connection to help with your shiny new router.
We picked 5 of the all time Best Wireless Routers for Gaming that you can buy to improve your gaming and multimedia experience. Happy Shopping!